Thursday, April 7, 2011

Autism Awareness Month

The month of April is a favorite month for me.  It is the month friends and families with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders) come together to conduct awareness. On April 2, buildings around the world were lit in bright blue to kick off Autism Awareness Month.  And if you missed it, just visit lightitupblue.org  and you will see photos of  the participants. 

I was happily surprised by the number of email invitations I received that I decided to bring my family and friends together to conduct awareness. In fact, I believe it is my responsibility as a parent of an autistic child to share part of the recent article published on the Autism Speaks website  (http://www.autismspeaks.org/donate/we_need_answers.php),
“…Autism is a growing national…public health crisis.  … a staggering 57 percent increase from 2002 to 2006, and a 600 percent increase in just the past 20 years.  …These new findings reinforce that autism is an urgent and growing public health crisis that affects most individuals across their lifespan and demands a commensurate level of action from both the public and private sectors…” 

For this reason and the fact that funding for the disabled has been included in State budget cuts…I decided to do my part to increase awareness and contribute as best I can.  First, I am organizing a “Pay it Forward” Charity BBQ to benefit a non-profit group home, my charity of choice, that serves the developmentally disabled in my local area. I am hoping that this small measure of kindness will spark compassion and the ripples of benevolence reaches multitudes.    Second, I am writing to my Legislator and Senator to voice my opinion on this travesty of cutting funding from individuals that CAN'T fend for themselves.  In my opinion, this is classic bullying by those in power!!

As Jon Purnell, former US Ambassador once said   "This kind of cooperation is important, and is especially important when times are tough politically."   I realize that he was not specifically refering to helping the disabled, but in this instance, the quote is just as applicable.  

Pay if forward, any way you can....
Sooo....just in case you decide that you would like to voice your opinion and you live in Florida...below is a list of contact information:
Senator Bill Nelson- D  1-(202)-224-5274, billnelson.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm

Senator Marco Rubio 1 (202) 224-3041, rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact

City Senate- Ronda Storms- 813-651-2189  Fax: 813-651-2188, storms.ronda.web@flsenate.gov

US Congressman- Alcee Hastings- https://forms.house.gov/alceehastings/webforms/issue.suscribe.htm- click on contact and make your complain or concern

Pay if forward!
Jossie

No comments:

Post a Comment